Private Nemean Wine Tour, Ancient Nemea & Mycenae from Athens
Durations: 8 Hour(s)
Group Size: 1+
Experience a unique wine tasting tour at some of the most well known Greek vineyards of Nemea. Discover the Temple of Zeus, together with rich Mycenae. A true Door-to-Door experience with a private luxury vehicle!
During this tour we will visit the archaeological site of Mycenae, you will see the Cyclopean Walls, the Lion‚Äôs Gate, the Royal Tombs and the Treasury of Atreus (Tomb of Agamemnon).
Combining mythology, ancient temples, an ancient stadium and an incredible museum, Nemea is not to be missed.¬†
Live a unique experience tasting wines in some of the most well known Greek wineries reminding you of the Napa valley of California.¬†
Treat yourself to an authentic ‚Äúvillage style‚ÄĚ lunch on a magnificent terrace overlooking ancient Corinth‚Äôs archaeological site and the temple of Apollo.
The Best Wineries to visit:
Day 1 : Mycenae, Ancient Nemea & Nemean Wine Tour from Athens
Rich in gold! King Agamemnon's mythical kingdom sung in Homer's epics. It is the most important and richest center of the late Bronze Age.
- The Lions Gate: The main entrance of the Bronze age citadel of Mycenae erected during the 13th century BC.
- Grave Circles A and B: Royal cemeteries situated to the south of the Lion Gate and outside the Bronze Age citadel.
- The Cyclopean Walls: The main characteristic of the Mycenean walls is that they are made of huge limestone boulders. Only the mythical Cyclopes had the strength to move the enormous boulders that made up the walls of Mycenae and Tiryns.
- The Royal Palace: Consisting of domestic apartments, the Throne Room Suite, the Grand Staircase, a collection of rooms for officers or palace officials and the Forecourt.
- The Treasury of Atreus: A large tholos or beehive tomb constructed during the Bronze Age around 1250 BC.
- Tomb of¬†Clytemnestra: A Mycenean tholos type tomb built in 1250 BC named after Clytemnestra the wife of king Agamemnon and leader of the Greeks in Trojan war.
- The Mycenean Archaeological Museum: The most important Mycenean artifacts are exhibited here. You will be dazzled by the gold grave goods, burial masks, jewellery, weapons, worship idols and frescoes.
A beautiful land of¬†soft hills with endless vineyards and great wines. A popular day trip from Athens for every lover of antiquity fewer places in Greece combine ancient Greek temples with what feels a lot like the Napa Valley of California. Nemea should be on the itinerary of every traveler to the Peloponnese.
- The Temple of Zeus / Jupiter: The center piece of the Macedonian building program was the temple of Nemean Zeus. Three columns of which have always stood since the time of the original construction.
- The Ancient baths: The Nemean baths are an athletic bathing house at the Panhellenic sanctuary of Nemea.
- The Apodyterium: The Apodyterium is where athletes got undressed, oiled their skin and prepared for the games.
- The Ancient Stadium Crypt: Over 36 m. in length and for the most part in very good condition, it is the entrance tunnel that makes the Nemean games unique. It is the passage through the tunnel, clad in chiton and with bare feet that effects the transformation of the participant from a modern to an ancient. The tunnel thus plays the critical role in the accomplishment of our goal to provide an opportunity for anyone and everyone to become an ancient Greek athlete.
- The starting grid: Characterized by toe grooves cut into the stone blocks.
- The Archeological Museum: Founded by the University of California the museum contains a collection of pictures of Nemea by travelers of the 18th and 20th centuries, coins of ancient visitors and items related to athletic activity.
- The Wine Roads: Nemea a mythical land where Agiorgitiko wine is born.
Wine Tasting Experience
- Vineyards and Winery tour
- Wine tasting Seminar
- Enjoy awarded wines and a home cooked meal
Treat yourself to an authentic "village style" lunch on a magnificent terrace overlooking ancient Corinth's archaeological site and the temple of Apollo.
- Hotel/port pickup and drop-off
- Pickup and drop-off from designated meeting points
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Native English speaking drivers
- Refreshment wipes
- Bottled water¬†
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 24 hours or less before event