Fish shopping in Rialto and home cooking in Murano
Durations: 3 Hour(s)
Group Size: 1+
Don't just sit in a restaurant but be a true Venetian! Let's pick the best fresh fish at the Rialto market, cross the Canal Grande on a gondola and hurry up heading home.
Be a true Venetian! Fish tastes better when it is fresh, seasonal and local, especially if you personally buy it and cook it at home with the tips of a local guy!
The market place in Venice is Rialto: its fish market is noisy, raw, authentic and full of true venetian life. Fish is artfully arranged on stalls covered with deep layers of crushed ice; seagulls wander among the fishmongers calling out today's catch, local people purposefully browse the stalls scattered in the two halls of the "Pescheria", as generations of Venetians have been doing for the past 800 years!
As soon as you have made your best choice for fish, you will cross the Canal Grande on a Gondola ferry, most probably together with some local housewives hurrying up heading home! With a 15 minutesâ€™ walk through hidden "calles" you will reach Fondamente Nove, where you will catch a vaporetto to Murano where the cooking will take place.
You will cook your meal together with a local Venetian while tasting some glasses of prosecco, some appetizers and enjoying the view on the canal from the dining room.
Following the tips of your host you will cook pasta with a tasty fish sauce while a seabass is baking to perfection in the oven.
The conclusion of the lunch will be a strong Italian coffee, of course brewed from a moka machine.
Day 1 : Rialto Fish Market
We will meet in one of the most authentic spots in Venice. Every day here fresh fish and seafood is artfully arranged on stalls covered with deep layers of crushed ice, fishmongers wearing long aprons and gloves are busy at work, wrapping fish in paper and taking orders from customers. We will immerse ourselves in this trickle of people besieging the stalls, marvelling at the amazing shapes and colours of the fish to cook it fresh at home.Gondola ferry on Canal Grande
We will cross the Grand Canal as venetian housewives are doing: with a gondola ferry!Heading up home through off the beaten tracks "calles"
We will head up home crossing Cannaregio district, one of the largest and most populated of the city, with a characteristic configuration of endless parallel canals lined with wide fondamente joining bridges and narrow streets.Home cooking in Murano
We will cook our 3 courses meal in a state-of-the art kitchen in a venetian house overlooking the canal in Murano.
- Starter : Biological sundried tomatoes and Italian vegetable antipasti; Spritz, the Aperitivo drink based on white wine and Aperol/Campari/Cynar/Select
- First main course : Spaghetti alla busara (Spaghetti with tomatoes and stewed crayfish): a tasty recipe, encased in the Venetian tradition. It is considered one of the most important dishes of the Venetian cuisine.
- Second main course: Baked seabass with potatoes: cooking in the oven will preserve the fresh and original taste of the fish and of the Adriatic Sea, enriched by the flavours of fine herbs and spices.
- Italian moka brewed coffee & local liquors: we will end up our meal with a strong Italian coffee accompanied by local liquors.
- 3 courses fish lunch meal
- Prosecco and wine
- Moka coffee & liquors
- Gondola ferry crossing Canal Grande
- Tour leaderÂ & nature and interpretive guide
- Visit & Shopping at Rialto fish market
- Water bus ticket to Murano. Tickets will be purchased on-board
- Tip or gratuity
- The experience is private or in very small groups up to 6 participants. In case you wish a customized private experience, please let us know in advance!
- Accessibility: the experience is meant to be inclusive and accessible: if you are a traveller with motor, sensorial or cognitive disabilities, please let us know in advance and we will make our best to meet your needs.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Accessible with strollers