Serra da Estrela Private Snow Experience - Cheese Tasting with Gourmet Lunch
Durations: 11 Hour(s)
Group Size: 1+
During the winter months, in the highest point on the mountain, the Tower, which is famous for its white mantle that extends to the base, tries to do the best known sport in the region: sit on the floor on top of a plastic bag and slide down small slopes
Explore the Serra da Estrela mountain range in the Centre of Portugal on this private day tour from Porto.Â
During the winter months, in the highest point on the mountain, the Tower, which is famous for its white mantle, that extends to the base, tries to do the best known sport in the region: sit on the floor on top of a plastic bag and slide down small slopes. It's guaranteed fun! Or you can make a snowman by using a few sticks to decorate and a scarf that doesn't mind getting wet. Children will absolutely love it.
During the summer, on clear days, the view may be shorter to the sea, in the area of â€‹â€‹Figueira da Foz. People who love to spend their holiday amidst mountains and beautiful nature must visit Portugal's biggest mountain, Serra da Estrela. Here, you have the option of visiting the dazzling landscapes, the customs and traditions by visiting the typical regional villages or chose official hiking trails to, or discover scenarios of pure peace: high peaks, leafy valleys, streams of crystal clear water. You can experience amazing gastronomy of the Serra da Estrela region, some of which are Carquejo rice and sausages, roasted lamb, cod with bread.
We will start the tour in a locality of Seia, named PinhanĂ§os, existing since the Arabian era, where you will learn how to make and eat Serra da Estrela Cheese, a specialty which you must never miss. It is a semi-soft cheese made from the milk of Bordaleira Serra da Estrela and Churra Mondegueira breeds of sheep. Milking is done by hand, after which the milk is heated, salted, and curdled using thistle extract.Â
If you choose, the option of wine tasting, we will go to visit Quinta Da Bica, to discover more about Portuguese wine region DĂŁo. You can taste the nectar's of this region with its traditional cheese and learn the Wine-making process using its ancestral techniques.Â
Other than this, we can also go to Seia to visit a private museum named Museu do PĂŁo, â€śbread museumâ€ť, which preserves the objects and heritage of Portugal.
Then we will drive you to lunch in Sabugueiro, which is 1200 m and is the highest village filled with natural and traditional surroundings.
Do you love watching some unique movie scenery? Then we must do on foot the trail to CovĂŁo dos Conchos, a place with an opening waterfall in a pond in the mountain that leads to waters of Ribeira das Naves to the Comprida Lagoon.
On the way to the Tower, â€śTorreâ€ť, which is Serra da Estrela's highest point - 2351 m, you can have fun playing in the snow. We will pass through CovĂŁo dâ€™ Ametade, situated in the initial part of ZĂŞzere Glacier Valley. A wonderful Lake named Virito can be witnessed in the way to the Source of Mondego River which is Portugal's 1st largest river.
After all the fun of playing in the snow of the â€śTowerâ€ť, we will stop in the trail to the Well of Hell or â€śPoĂ§o do Infernoâ€ť, where following narrow paths, where there is no more than a car, you will arrive at ex-libris of Serra da Estrela and one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the country.
Tourists are also attracted to Vale do Rossim which forms Serra de Estrela's heart and located next to Europe's largest glacial valley. Then we will visit the Manteigas village, which is full of natural beauty in the form of magnificent landscapes and rich natural heritage such as the Pedra do Urso, the ZĂŞzere River Valley, the Penhas da SaĂşde. Finally, while returning, we will pass through CabeĂ§a do Velho which is a set of rock formations and are also referred to as "Old Man's Head".
In the summer you can swim on river beaches, waterfalls or lakes. The best river beaches in this area are Praia de Loriga, Praia de Lapa dos Dinheiros and Praia de Vila Cova Ă Coelheira.
Similarly, we can also visit the adorable mountain town named Gouveia that has various churches, monuments, and traditional mountain streets, Folgosinho and its Castle or Linhares da Beira is a medieval village with unique architectural diversity. Â Â
Day 1 : PinhanĂ§os VillagePinhanĂ§os is a Portuguese locality of Seia, with 7.95 kmÂ˛ and 703 inhabitants (2001). Its settlement dates back to the time of the Arabs, as evidenced by the existence of a Moorish almocabar of which there are still some graves. As for the built cultural heritage are worth visiting the Mother Church, the fountain of SĂŁo LourenĂ§o and the chapels of Our Lady of Lomba, St. Anthony, St. Peter and the house of PinhanĂ§os. Quinta da Bica (Optional)Quinta da Bica According to family tradition, the origin of the Bica Manor is in a convent witch already existed between 1550 and 1650. Since 1650 Quinta da Bica is in the Sacadura Botte family. The Bica Manor is on one of the road exits from the town of Seia. The Estate where the Manorâ€™s located is entered passing through an impressive portal and high wall which stand out on the landscape. After passing through the portal enters the courtyard which leads to the Manor, a seventeenth century stately home which underwent major works of recuperation on the inside during this century, although it still maintains its original outline. Along with the Manor there is also a beautiful stone fountain that gives the Manor its name â€“ the whole architectural group occupies a great agricultural property which is lost in time, at least until the seventeenth century.Bread Museum (Optional)Located in Serra da Estrela, is a private museum whose purpose is to collect, preserve, and display the objects and heritage of Portuguese bread in all its aspects: ethnography, politics, society, history, religion, and art. The museum also includes visitor support areas intended to make your stay more pleasant: the Library-Bar, the Historic Market, and the restaurant. All of these spaces have the same theme as the Museum, and offer visitors a wide array of quality services and opportunities.Sabugueiro VillageThis is one of the must-see points in any Serra da Estrela itinerary, and it has the title of the highest village in Portugal, with its 1200 meters altitude. In this village, marvel at the surrounding traditions and natural surroundings and here you must try the famous Serra cheese. The story goes that this village arose from a cluster of shepherds' huts who used the pastures for their sheep and goats. In old documents it appears called "Village of SabugĂˇria". This is why it is a very old village, reported by D. Afonso II's Inquiries, in 1296. Visit its river beach and the Parish Church of Sabugueiro.CovĂŁo dos Conchos (On Foot)CovĂŁo dos Conchos is a unique movie scenery. It is a circular opening with waterfall in a pond in the Mountain. Although it seems natural, it was the hands of man who made this charm that actually serves to lead the waters of Ribeira das Naves to the Comprida Lagoon.Lagoa CompridaThis is a mysterious place that seems to have been taken from an authentic movie, but it is very real.Torre, "The Tower"The Tower is the highest point in Serra da Estrela and also in mainland Portugal, and the second highest in Portugal (only the Pico Mountain, in the Azores, has the highest altitude - 2351 m). This point is not a characteristic mountain ridge, but the highest point of a mountain range. The Tower has the unusual feature of being a top accessible by a paved road, at the end of which there is a roundabout with a symbolic monument of the Tower and a geodetic landmark. It is said, although this is not confirmed, that King D. JoĂŁo VI would have had a stone monument erected here at the beginning of the 19th century, in order to complete the altitude until reaching 2000 meters.CovĂŁo d' Ametade
CovĂŁo da Ametade is one of the most symbolic and most beautiful places in Serra da Estrela. It is located at the beginning of the ZĂŞzere Glacier Valley. It is a poorly drained depression situated in a glacial hollow downstream of the summit hollow. Although the site is close to 1500 meters in altitude, it is not accessible only on the harshest winter days when the roads do not allow passage due to snowfall. Along the way you can stop to be dazzled by the beauty of Lake Viriato.Nascente do Rio Mondego
The Mondego River is the fifth largest Portuguese river and the first of all that have its course entirely in Portugal. It is born in Serra da Estrela, bathes the city of Coimbra and has its mouth in the Atlantic Ocean, next to the city of Figueira da Foz. It has a total length of 258 kilometers. When born, it is still very small and has the name of Mondeguinho. Its source is located on the site of Corgo das MĂłs (or Mondeguinho), village of Mangualde da Serra, municipality of Gouveia, at an altitude of about 1525 meters. In the rare case a riverPoĂ§o do Inferno (On foot)
Climbing parallel to Ribeira de Leandres and following narrow paths, where there is no more than a car, we come to one of the ex-libris of Serra da Estrela and one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the country: the Well of Hell! Here, in the heart of the Sierra at 1080 meters altitude, the waters are icy, as it should be at this time of year. Crystal clear and transparent invite you to a dive at another time of the year, of course!Vale do RossimIn the heart of the Serra da Estrela, more specifically in the Penhas Douradas, and next to the largest glacial valley in Europe, extends this mantle of water that in summer attracts all that are nearby vacationers. The Rossim Valley Recreational Center lies at an average altitude of 1437 meters. Before the dam was built, it was one of the best highland pastures in the municipality of Gouveia. The place was, almost always, frequented by herds of transhumance, herds that gathered on these sides from SĂŁo JoĂŁo until the parties of Mr. do CalvĂˇrio, in August. Manteigas VillageLocated at approximately 700m altitude, in a glacier valley of Serra da Estrela, where the river ZĂŞzere runs, the county seat Vila de Manteigas is known for its famous textile industry, and nowadays for tourism development, given the importance in this area of Serra da Estrela. The region excels in its unique natural beauty, with absolutely magnificent landscapes that have provided the region with the raw materials needed for the production of its typical products over the centuries: pastures for the herds to produce wool for the famous textiles and milk for the renowned Serra da Estrela Cheese. The natural heritage of the region is very rich, and points such as the Well of Hell with its stunning waterfall, often transformed into ice in winter, the Pedra do Urso, the ZĂŞzere River Valley, the Penhas da SaĂşde, are unmissable and passionate places. All the gastronomy of the Serra da Estrela region is well represented and presented in Manteigas, with a good offer of Catering and Hospitality. Visit the church.Gouveia Village (Optional)Gouveia is a beautiful mountain town in the center of the country, seat of a municipality, located on the western slope of the great Serra da Estrela, about 700 meters above sea level, where you can see a wonderful panorama of the Mondego Valley, and all the wonderful surrounding nature. Gouveia presents a proud Heritage, with several monuments, churches, manor houses and old neighborhoods of traditional mountain streets. Noteworthy is the imposing 17th century Mother Church, very close to the beautiful Casa da Torre, which stands out for its Manueline elements, such as the windows, St. Peter's Church, or the interesting 18th century Church of Mercy, the Pelourinho, the SĂŁo Lazarus Fountain of 1779 or the Solar Serpa Pimentel (18th century). Nature is one of the great heritage assets of Gouveia, which has beautiful green spaces and varied leisure places, such as the Zoological Park, as well as beautiful points such as Monte CalvĂˇrio with an eighteenth century temple and a panoramic view of excellence, as well as the viewpoint. do PaixotĂŁo, or the historic SĂŁo Francisco Convent, nowadays privately owned, which was built by the Templars.Folgosinho Village (Optional)On top of the beautiful village of Folgosinho, on the northern slope of Serra da Estrela, Folgosinho Castle was a defensive triangle in the Mondego river valley, along with that of Linhares and Celorico da Beira. The origins of the Castle are diffuse, saying popular knowledge that its foundation was attributed to the warrior Viriato, who was born here, while other archaeological studies point to a medieval foundation, continuing the settlement of the region. Linhares da Beira Village (Optional)
Medieval village of the century. XII, Linhares da Beira has a unique architectural diversity, the result of the legacy of various eras. In 1169, he received his first floral, attributed by D. Afonso Henriques. But only later, in the reign of King Dinis, was its imposing castle erected, a landmark of the village and the main visiting card of our day. To wander the streets of this museum village is to make a foray into the past, its history, and feel the breeze of the Mondego Valley and caress our face.
- Gourmet Lunch with The Region Red or White wines.Â
- Optional - Guided visit to Quinta da Bica,Â the finest DĂŁo estates and expert wine farm producer,Â its vineyards with 4 Table Wines tastings With Serra da Estrela Cheese.Â
- Transport by luxury Crossover SUV which is high in comfort, refined in ride, and rich in features;
- Personal accident and liability insurance.
- Our executive vehicles provide Wi-Fi, bottled water, refreshments and a relaxing atmosphere.
- Our chauffeurs provide a concierge service for any requirements.
- Our chauffeurs have knowledge and ethics required for confidential business matters.
- Live tour commentary provided in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
- Wineries included subject to change based on their availability, private events, and holidays.Â
- Exact destinations & itinerary may differ due to weather, road conditions, and the guide's discretion.Â
- Admission to venues & attractions along the tour route.
- Gratuities are not included and is left to individual discretion.Â
- Transportation of suitcases or excess baggage, unless specified.
- Enjoy wine tastings without worrying about driving.
- Guided wine-tasting full-day tour to acclaimed DĂŁo wineries & estates.
- Opportunity to sample the delicious Red Wines with local typical Cheese named Serra da Estrela.
- Insight into techniques at large-scale wineries.
- Chance to learn about the region's role in wine-making.
- Learning about prestigious wines in the Douro region.â€‹
Other Highlights of the Tour
- Private tour with your own driver/guide & car for a day.
- Avoid fraternising 12 hours in a van with people you don't know.
- Escape hearing the driver/guide fluctuate between languages, choose a tour delivered in the language of your choose.
- Don't fight anyone you don't know for a window seat or space to seat.
- Ask to stop whenever you want, for as long as you want to take photos, shop, enjoy the scenery or even go to the bathroom.
- Avoid losing time and money renting a vehicle and picking it up.
- Avoid losing time trying to find memorable spots, restaurants and wineries.
- Instantly share memories of your day with Free Wi-Fi available on vehicle.
- Small group of 6 people or fewer for an intimate experience.Â Â
- Accessible for those with limited mobility.
- Accessible for those with limited eye sight.
- Stroller / Pram Accessible.
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- Collapsible wheelchairs can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark.
- If you have limited mobility, please inform us when you call to confirm your reservation.
- Service animals allowed.Â
- Infants must not sit on laps.
- You must inform us if you need child safety seat for children under 8 years of age or 4 foot 9 inches (144 cm) tall.
- For international guests, please be aware the legal drinking age in Portugal is 18 years of age. You must present a valid photo ID in order to drink alcohol in wineries.
- Hotel pickup commences between 8:00am - 9:00am depending on the location of your Porto/Gaia hotel or B&B (exact pickup time will be advised at reconfirmation).Â Â Â Â
- Be sure to bring comfortable clothes and shoes, sunscreen (if it's sunny), a raincoat, and an umbrella (if it's raining).
- Swimwear and Towels if you want to dive into some beach.
- Camera.Â Â
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 24 hours or less before event
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 0% if booking is cancelled 1000 days or less before event