Exclusive wine tasting experience close to Naples
Durations: 3 Hour(s)
Group Size: 1+
Quality, eco-sustainability, local culture, respect for tradition, growth, technological development: welcome to Villa Matilde!
Welcome to Villa Matilde, only 1 hour from Naples! The history of this winery began in the 1960s, when Francesco Paolo Avallone, a lawyer with a passion for ancient wines, decided to bring back to life a local legendary wine, which had disappeared in the early 20th century, the Falernum. With the assistance of a group of friends, including professors in the department of Crop Sciences at the University of Naples, Avallone was able to identify, after years of study, the grape varieties that had produced Falernum in Roman times.
With the help of local farmers, he re-planted the handful of vines that had miraculously survived devastation by phylloxera in the late 19th century, right in the Monte Massico area where they had flourished in ancient times, and he then founded Villa Matilde.
Today you have the opportunity to enjoy a special wine tasting experience choosing by 4 different options:
- Falerno standard tour: with this experience you will have a tour of the winery and the cellar, with explanation of the Falernus and then you will taste 2 wines and some local snacksÂ
- Falerno del Massico doc bianco: Straw yellow, its elegant, generous bouquet offers well-ripened fruit, including bananas, yellow peach, Williamsâ€™s pear, confectionerâ€™s cream, broom and rose blossoms, and delicate notes of sage and vanilla.
- Falerno del Massico doc Rosso: Aglianico and Piedirosso grape, this red wine shows a deep red, intense, wild black berryfruit, cherry, blackberry, and raspberry. The palate is full-volumed, elegant, and finely balanced in all its components
- Falerno premium tour: This is a 3 hours tour that includes winery and cellar tour, plus a tasting of this experience you will have a tour of the winery and the cellar, with explanation of the Falernus and then you will taste 3 wines and local snacks. Indeed, together with the red and white Falerno, you'll taste the Cecubo: a historic wine already prized by the ancient Romans, made from indigenous grape varieties grown on the San Castrese estate on the hillside vineyards on the flanks of the extinct Roccamonfina volcano. Appearing a dark, dense red, its unmistakeable bouquet releases dried plum, wild berryfruit, vanilla, and cocoa powder, lifted by emphatic notes of black liquorice, tobacco, and dried figs. On the palate it is full-bodied, well-structured, and elegant.
- Exclusive wine tasting experience: this tour includes a welcome drink, winery and cellar tour plus vineyards tour and a special 3 wines tasting
- Lunch or dinner: the highest end option, which includes a welcome drink, winery and cellar tour plus vineyards and a lunch including 4 dishes and wine pairing!
- Greetings by the wine hospitality managerÂ
- Explanation of the winery and wine making process
- Winery and cellar tour
- Wine tasting of 2 or 3 wines according to the option chosen
- Transfers to and from the winery
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 0% if booking is cancelled 0 hours or less before event